Feb 25, 2011

Creeper Tutorial

Completed Creeper
The Creeper is a 'character' from the game Minecraft, which is a game that a lot of my friends play.  Basically you run around building things then whamo!  A creeper appears "Sssssssss" and explodes behind you, destroying everything you've built.

Below is one of the images I was given to work from.  It's a lot more detailed than the one from the game (everything is square and pixelated) but it gave me something to work from.

I then got to deconstructing it.  How many pieces would I need to do the head?  What size were the leg pieces, underneath piece, side bits...  I think I ended up forgetting underneath the head until I was actually constructing it, not to mention underneath the body haha.

Deconstructing the Creeper
I'll list the pieces here for you so that you can try it at home if you'd like, or just so you can tremble in awe at the sheer number of pieces.  Although, it didn't have as many pieces as the police box (tutorial).

Creeper Pieces

Green felt
  • 4 head pieces - 8cm x 8cm
  • 8 top and bottom of leg pieces - 2.5cm x 3cm
  • 1 under head piece - 8cm x 8cm with 5.5cm x 4.5cm hole cut in it
  • 4 fronts of leg pieces - 2.5cm x 5.5cm
  • 4 inside of leg pieces - 3cm x 5.5cm
  • 4 under body leg pieces - 3.5cm x 2.5cm
  • 1 under body piece - 4.5cm x 5.5cm
  • 2 side body + leg pieces (see picture above - second piece down shaped like a spanner-ish)
  • 2 body pieces, front and back (see above pic - shaped like a rectangle with a tiny piece sticking out)
Black felt
  • 2 eye pieces
  • 1 mouth piece

After cutting out the 30 body pieces...


...I set about sewing them together.  As I wanted it to look 'boxy' I sewed it up on the outside.  Normally I sew it up in reverse, then flip it inside out and stuff it.  Although, for the edges that weren't poking out (under the head, inbetween the legs, etc), I sewed them on the inside.  It's all quite fiddly but totally worth it for the end result.  In the below pictures you can just see that hte top of the legs, where they join to the body, are sewn up on the inside.


It took a while to get it all sewn up, as there were a lot of pieces.  I left one of the body sides at the back slightly open to stuff him.

Ssssssssss

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...