Jun 8, 2011

Creator Profile - Catamation

I recently got to interview the amazing Catamation.  I had previously seen her beautiful items in Bleeding Heart Gallery and met her at the Marky Markets.  I'm currently bidding on these cute beetles for the Online Auction to Help Brisbane Valley Cat Rescue.  Scroll down to learn more!


Tell us about yourself!

I’m an animator, illustrator, printmaker and artist. I need to keep the analogue/digital balance so I spend as many hours making kooky origami and in the print studio as I do sitting in front of my computer animating. I like cats and words that end in ‘ation’ (illustration, animation, contemplation, procrastination ...) hence the name of my business ‘catamation’. I also fill in the time waiting for renders to process by knitting, spinning and crocheting, and had my first sewing machine when I was 4 years old.
What do you create?

I go through phases – at the moment I’m doing a lot of origami and origami collages as I don’t get into the printmaking studio as often as I’d like to. Previously I did a lot of beaded work, photography, carved leather work and couture sewing.


How long have you been making things?

I’ve been making things since I was very little. I was probably scheming to make things when I was in my mother’s belly. When I was a kid I used to make clothes out of large rolls of newsprint, colour them in with my crayons and then staple my younger sister into them. I also used to steal food dye from the pantry and use it to colour in my drawings. Strange as it may seem, those drawings/paintings haven’t faded a touch in many years. Goodness knows what food dye does to your insides!
Where do you get your inspiration?

I like the macro world – plants, flowers, insects, beetles, moths, dragonflies. I moved up from Victoria to Brisbane because the beetles up here are huge and I like to be warm. Also fascinated by anatomy (human, animal and insect) and mechanics (probably why I’m good at rigging characters). I like to study and sketch my pets in motion – two black cats and a rhino beetle called Cleo. And being an old school geeky goth, I’m really getting into steampunk over the last few years.

How can people contact you?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Catamation/161122813924643 : my blog where you can keep up to date as to what exhibitions, markets and projects I’m currently working on
http://www.catamation.etsy.com : where I sell my prints and origami creations

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...