Oct 3, 2011

Apple Pie

I've only ever had apple pie once before in my life and I was at a friend's place over two years ago.  This time, I made a vegan version and it smells sooo good!  You can't really go wrong with apples, cinnamon and nutmeg.  I think though that I should have used plain flour instead of self-raising, as the pastry puffed up *quite* a lot.  The apples didn't go as soft as I would have liked either so I may heat them in a pan first for a little bit before adding them to the pie.


Ingredients:
Pastry
*2 cups of plain flour      $0.22 (Orgran gf flour $1.74)
*2/3 cup of vegan butter $1.14
*pinch of salt
*4-6 tbsp of water

Filling
*5 apples, chopped      $4.40
*1 tsp lemon juice
*1 tsp cinnamon
*1/2 cup raw sugar     $0.10
*1/2 tsp nutmeg
*pinch of salt

Method:
1.  Mix all pastry ingredients together to form a dough.  Refridgerate for an hour.
2.  Peel and chop the apples up.  Mix with all other filling ingredients in a bowl.
3.  Heat the oven to 180C. 
4.  Use half the dough to make a base in your container.  Heat for 10 minutes.
5.  Put filling in.  Cut rest of dough into strips to decorate.
6.  Bake for 30-45 minutes, until pastry is brown and apples are soft.

Makes:  About 6 serves.

Total:  $5.86 or $0.98 per serve.
            $7.38 or $1.23 per serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...