Oct 4, 2011

Creator Profile - Sailor Mouth Soaps

I recently got to interview the awesome brains behind the all-vegan and all-awesome Sailor Mouth Soaps.   I absolutely love her creative, colourful and sometimes creepy soaps.  Read on to learn more about this amazing person!
 

Tell us about yourself.

My name is Aliya and I'm the woman behind Sailor Mouth Soaps. I live in Brisbane with my fiance, our two dogs, Herman the Pug and Gomez, our rescued mystery dog. I also foster dogs through Animal Rescue QLD and help find them a forever home. I'm a huge Sci-Fi nut, in fact, I have Doctor Who apron that I wear whenever I'm in the soap kitchen! I love to read, go on long nature walks and listen to music while I work. I'm also a huge fan of tv shows like The Big Bang Theory, The Office, Torchwood and other mystery/funny shows.


What do you create?

Soap is my favorite medium. I've dabbled in all sorts of crafts and really enjoyed them but nothing makes me spring out of bed like soap does. If you had have told me 10 years ago that I'd end up being a soap maker, I would have laughed! It sounds so random but it's the most fulfilling thing I've ever done. I love the artistic outlet and practical nature of soap. Having special little soapy treats around the house makes me smile. I'm a big clean freak so making and using soap suits me perfectly.


How long have you been making things?

I've been making soap for over 2 years now but my journey into naturally based skin care started when I was much younger. I used to make my own scrubs, shampoos, cleaners and toners straight from old fashioned recipes and marveled at how many modern skin care treatments were based on ancient wisdom. I've have a deep appreciation for nature and when I found an artistic way to make soap, I jumped at the chance! The first soap I ever made was fairly ugly, it had Calendula petals which are brilliant for your skin but boy, it was an ugly duckling. I don't have any photos of that *cough*.
 

Where do you get your inspiration?

Absolutely everywhere. It can come from music, books, quotes, food, nature, design and fragrances. I've based entire soaps around childhood memories and the scent of wild untamed places.
 

How can people contact you?

You can find me at:

2 comments:

  1. Awwwwwesome! I'm always happy to learn about cool vegan soap makers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sailor Mouth Soaps are the best! Aliya is so creative :D.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...