Nov 15, 2011

Potato and Gravy Casserole

I made this recipe up based on what I had available to me at the time.  The sauce that I made ended up being like gravy which is why this is my Potato and Gravy Casserole :).  To make it cheesy instead of gravy-y, I'd use 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast instead of the beef stock cube.  It was very delicious!



Ingredients:
*3 medium potatoes       $1.02
*salt and pepper
*2 tbsp Nuttelex
*2 tbsp flour
*1 cup non-dairy milk   $0.49 (for gravy)
*vegan cheese (optional - can make some out of nutritional yeast)
*~1/2 cup non-dairy milk  $0.25 (to fill dish)
*1 tsp each paprika, basil, parsley
*1 cube Massells beef stock  $0.24


Method:
1.  Peel and thinly slice potatoes.
2.  Melt butter on stove.  Add milk and stir, then flour, stock and spices.  Stir occasionally until thick enough.
3.  Layer potatoes and sauce until all ingredients used up.
4.  Sprinkle with vegan cheese.  I used Notzarella.
5.  Fill halfway with non-dairy milk.
6.  Bake at 200C for ~45 minutes.

Shred up some vegan cheese (I used Notzarella) and sprinkle on top.

Options:  Add some onion, nutritional yeast and garlic.

Makes:  4 serves.

Total:  $2.49

Calories:  982 or 246 per serve (without cheese)

Protein: 38.9 or 9.73g per serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...