May 17, 2012

Fact Sheet: Writing to Animal Rights Prisoners

I have been thinking a lot lately about more action that I can take in the animal rights movement.  While I may or may not agree with the actions taken by these individuals, I do believe that it is their human right to have some support so that they don't get lonely, depressed or despondent.

'Writing' by J. Paxon Reye
I ended up finding the list of prisoners by the Animal Liberation Front, and another by Bite Back.  They both seem to be updated regularly and focus mainly on the UK and US.  There seem to be no lists for Australia (although that could change with the meat industries here pushing for the same laws as the US has).

I then found a few places where I could buy cards to send to them (funds are donated to charity and the pictures are of animals):
There are some great guides all over the net, with my favourites being by Striking At the Roots (very thorough) and How to do Animal Rights.
The main points to take from their articles are:
  • your mail will be read before it gets to the prisoner
  • don't talk about the case
  • don't include any stickers or items that are not a letter, postcard or card
  • don't be too bummed if you don't get a reply
  • stick to one or two activists who you can talk to regularly
If you have any more information that I can add, please let me know so that I can keep this updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...